Sometimes I wonder why I keep posting, even when there's so little to report. I suppose I'm trying to keep up the habit, for weeks when there *is* something worth saying.
Our feat of the week: Dan was gone for two nights to a conference in SLC--and we survived. I'm always nervous the first time I get left alone with babies. (Dan was gone for a week when Andrew was not quite 2 months old and it was probably the longest week of my life). Even though things went okay, we were all very glad to have him home again yesterday.
Andrew brought home his first quarter report. He seems to be doing well--but he was indignant that he wasn't doing better (for instance, in writing his letters legibly, etc.).
The kids have been thrilled that leaf-raking weather is finally here. They're working on a pile in our yard, and they spent a happy hour or so yesterday at the neighbor's helping them with their (much bigger) leaf piles. At least they were, until our neighbor (Bro. Petersen) sent them home. Andrew, apparently deciding he was thirsty, turned on their hose--and accidentally sprayed their 18-month-old baby. What I can't figure out is why Andrew thought this was a good idea in the first place. The last time he tried something like that at our house, he got in big trouble. So if it's not okay at home, why would it be okay some where else . . . ?
After Dan got home yesterday, we went into celebration mode. That is, Evelyn, Oliver and I took a nice nap. Then I took the two older kid's to a local grocery store, where they were handing out Halloween candy at various stations in the different departments. The kids wore their costumes and I tried to get groceries. The only problem was that some clever employee decided to do a "cupcake walk" in the store--each aisle had two numbers, one at each end, and every five minutes or so they announced a number as a winner. The problem, of course, was that my hyper-competitive boy was *sure* he would win if I would just let him stay on a number (that's what other, older kids were doing). Since I wasn't about to let him camp out on a number while I went to other aisles--nor did I want to stand around and wait for the next announcement--we neither of us were particularly happy with each other.
And then, because I apparently don't ever remember how much I dislike crowds, I took the kids to a free City event last night. It ran from 6:30-8:30 and promised candy, games, and photo ops for kids. So, once again in costume, we headed out. I figured if we got there when it started, we could get in and out more quickly. Apparently half the town had the same idea--and the space allotted for the event wasn't very big. We arrived at 6:30--to a line that stretched almost to the street. It took us 45 minutes just to get in the front door. (Why didn't we just leave, you ask? Because by the time I realized how long it was going to take us, we'd already been in line for 20 minutes . . . .) Once inside, it was sort of disappointing. Candy, yes, but there were still really long lines for the games, and my kids were too chicken to do the haunted house. We made it maybe 15 feet inside the dark room before Evelyn was crying and Andrew wanted out. We still hadn't done any games, but I learned from my earlier mistake and offered to get ice cream for the kids if we could just leave without waiting in any more lines. Next year, I think we'll skip the event.
Look, I had more to report than I thought I did! I suppose I should add that I went to book group this week (we read Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken). It was coed this time--and while it was fun (even if Dan didn't go with me,on the grounds that he couldn't get past the first chapter without falling asleep), I was reminded why I generally prefer an all girls book club. It's funny how different the dynamics are. The husbands tend to do a lot more talking in mixed groups--and I find myself saying more scholarly (i.e, nerdy) things in an attempt to keep up with the more intellectual of the group. You'd think by now I was beyond trying to impress people. Apparently not.
Both kids are counting down the days to Halloween, so I'm sure we'll have more to report next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment