Sunday, October 14, 2012

October Adventures

I don't actually remember much from the midweek part of this week.

But we've had an interesting weekend--a mix of good and not so good.

The good: a friend from PA (Steph Asalone) came to visit with her roommate. Really they were here to see the Shakespeare festival and go to Tuacahn, but they stayed with us so we got to visit with them. It's always fun to see old friends.

On Saturday, we went to the NICU reunion. Granted, we haven't been out all that long, but the reunion was held at S--- Farms and it had free admission, so the older kids got to enjoy the amenities. And the food (crackers, yogurt, cheese, candy). In fact, Andrew got so excited by the bowl of candy corn and the candy scooper that he filled his plate with candy corn before I saw what he was doing. I made him share with Evelyn, but he still had more than even he could eat.

The kids rode on tire swings, jumped on a giant pillow trampoline, explored a wooden ship, attempted to rope fake cows, went down slides and generally had a good time.

I spent a lot of time feeding Oliver. It was fun, though, to see the doctors and nurses who'd spent a lot of time with our baby. They were all suitably impressed with how well he's grown--11 lbs at his last weigh-in! He's finally on the growth charts (albeit around the 1st-3rd percentile) for his unadjusted age. For his corrected age (from due date), he's at the 50th percentile.







 After the reunion, I dragged the family to Sears, where we got some pictures taken. The pictures were middling--but at least we have a documented professional shot of everyone in the family. Part of the reason for the middling pictures? This smile:

 
 Or lack thereof. Andrew doesn't seem to know what to do with his mouth. He either covered his teeth with a funny simper, or he grimaced at the camera.

We also went to Costco and had dinner at the kid's favorite restaurant: Red Robin. You can tell we were really making the most of getting out of town. Technically, we probably shouldn't have taken Oliver to the restaurant, but the bigger kids were grumpy and hungry. Plus, we were killing time so that we could stop by and see Sarah when she got to her in-laws' place.

And the bad? Well, we had an emergency room visit early Saturday morning. Dan was burping the baby (I'd just fed him), felt light-headed, sat down in the rocking chair, and then passed out. Since he was holding the baby, this meant that Oliver rolled down his lap and landed, face-first, on the floor. Everyone seems okay (we took Oliver in to make sure he wasn't seriously hurt), but it sure was scary for a minute or two.

***
Because of Oliver's new weight status (he's almost out of 0-3 month clothes!), I got out all his 3-6 month clothes to wash. In the hand-me-downs, I discovered some pajamas that matched pajamas Grandma had given Andrew, so Andrew insisted that they wear them. (Who cares if they're Christmas themed?)

 
 And of course, Evelyn couldn't see pictures without being in them. I love this one. Oliver's crying, Evelyn looks scared, and Andrew looks menacing.

 



And, as promised from last time, a picture of me.

  
Just for visual comparison--here's me holding Oliver when he was just a couple of days old. We're glad he's growing!



And last, some baby toes--just because I couldn't resist.









 

1 comment:

SRA said...

Great seeing you both...and the kids are awesome...Tiff and I agreed. Thanks for letting us stay at your place!