But not April Fools--because I'm not clever enough to come up with believable jokes at the moment!
Besides, I think April is perpetrating her own cruel joke. Snow? Really? We're now worried that our plum tree, which was just starting to bloom, might now freeze. (Good-bye, plums. Good-bye, plum jam!) But then, T. S. Eliot did say that "April is the cruelest month."
We don't have a lot of interesting things to report from this week. School, work, church callings continue on as usual. We enjoyed General Conference this weekend, and our kids are finally getting old enough to play relatively quietly (if by relatively, you mean that Andrew only wanders around every 1.5 minutes and asks questions about his Conference Bingo every thirty seconds). We still managed to listen to most of conference.
Even better, I'm actually getting close to finishing the quilt I started 4 years ago (it was supposed to be Evelyn's baby quilt. Oops. Of course, if she hadn't come 5 weeks early, I might have finished it then). I have two more sides to hand-stitch the binding on and then I'm done. Better late than never, right?
Friday night, Evelyn, Bubby and I went and saw Peter Pan--a performance by a local children's troupe. They always do a pretty fantastic job. The costumes for the crocodile and Nana (the dog) were particularly impressive--full body costumes! Bubby laughed at the boy who played Hook and Mr. Darling. As Hook, he was quite good, and the bulky coat and hat that the captain wears disguises what his dress shirt and trousers couldn't--he was so spindly he looked about to blow away. (I'm guessing he was 14 or 15). And Evelyn . . . . I think she loved everything. She spent half the time on the end of her seat, bouncing in time to the music or staring, rapt, at the stage. In fact, at intermission, the older couple next to me said that she was almost more entertaining to watch than the show! She was also surprisingly good for a performance that started after her bedtime. (Too bad her 9:30 bedtime that night didn't equal sleeping in the next morning! She was still up around 6 a.m.)
Andrew maintained steadily that he didn't want to go--until, that is, five minutes before we were supposed to leave and he suddenly realized that he was going to bed and Evelyn was going out the door . . . I felt bad telling him no, but Dan reminded me that he needs to learn that he can't change his mind last minute. (And I'm not entirely sure he wouldn't have been bored--pirates or no pirates).
Other news from the week . . . Dan and Poppy went out to eat after the priesthood session on Saturday and Dan brought home some lovely pad Thai leftovers. (Yes, that was a highlight from my week!)
Andrew continues to pester me on an every-other-day basis to go to the library. While I'm glad he loves the library, I'm not sure what we're going to do when he finishes his way through the non-fiction wildlife section . . . he doesn't seem interested in anything else currently!
Anyone have good suggestions for books that a young boy might be interested in? I'd like to get him reading chapter books, but he's no longer interested in Magic Treehouse, and most of the books I know of are too old (content wise) for him. I think he can read around a 3rd grade level, so things that generally appeal to 2nd and 3rd grade boys??
1 comment:
Ezra likes Encyclopedia Brown and the Cam Jansen mysteries.
Post a Comment