Sunday, March 18, 2012

A long overdue update

I'll be posting my update in batches, as otherwise it will be *way* too long for one post!

I apologize for the hiatus, but last Sunday afternoon I was car-bound, headed south for California. (Also, I have this phobia about posting online that I'm going to be out of town--so I don't post about vacations until after the fact).

A quick update on last weekend. After a sort of ordinary week, we had a very busy weekend. Saturday was Bubby's birthday (we won't say how old she was, but there's a 0 involved) and Sarah planned a huge surprise party. Sarah came down Thursday night and spent Friday afternoon and evening camped out at our house putting the finishing touches on the food: making cookies, frosting cupcakes, etc.

We took a short break for Evelyn's dance recital, but although Sarah kindly did Evelyn's hair and makeup (including some glitter powder), she couldn't come to the recital since otherwise Bubby would definitely know something was up. We discovered as we were walking out the door that we left Evelyn's dance shoes at the dance studio, so she had to dance shoe-less, but otherwise, everything went well.

My favorite part, though, was the moment when Evelyn (who was supposed to wait quietly on the bleachers with her little dance group) slid down the seats until she was at the floor, and then did her own little routine to the song playing at the time (she was back by the bleachers, well out of range of the actual dancers, so I'm not sure anyone noticed but us, but she sure cracked us up).


Saturday morning was go-time. We spent most of the morning finalizing things for Bubby's party--setting up the room at the church, making the final food arrangements, etc. To be honest, mostly we just did what Sarah told us to do, since this was her brainstorm.

My only unique contribution was this "tea hat" for Bubby to wear to her tea party.


Here's some pictures of the finished product: you can see the cute sign Sarah put together for "Trisha's Tea" and the fancy table decorations Sarah borrowed from a friend of a friend (let's just say, Sarah has connections).



After the party was over, we switched over into trip-preparation mode. More on that later.

No comments: