Sunday, January 22, 2012

One year older, maybe not wiser

As most of my readers know, I had a birthday last week. It wasn't exactly the big celebration you might expect--it was on Wednesday, so it got buried in mid-week stuff. Besides, we played enough last weekend to make up for it. (And Dan reminds me that I'm getting some very expensive family portraits as my present). However, I did get to go to book club--always a highlight for me. What could be better than talking about books for hours? With some fun, smart ladies? (Except of course, I always talk too much. Imagine that. Me, talk too much about books? Impossible).

Thursday night I had writer's group, so it wasn't until Friday that Dan and I actually got to spend some time together after the kids went to bed. We watched Crazy, Stupid Love, which we both enjoyed up until the end when one of the teen characters did something hugely inappropriate. Bleh.

On Saturday, we played wii games with the kids, watched the weather turn from rain to blowing snow, and then we divided and conquered. I took Evelyn to see Beauty in the Beast in 3D. She wore her Belle dress. I'm not a huge fan of 3D (the glasses bother me--it doesn't help that I have to wear them over my glasses), but it was a fun nostalgic indulgence to see the movie in theatre. I still remember seeing it when it first came out. I loved it.

I think Evelyn's favorite part might have been the Tangled short that showed before the movie. Personally, I thought one of the coolest things was the 3D Hobbit preview--that, or maybe Pixar's new animated movie, Brave. What can I say? I'm a sucker for red-headed heroines. (I still remember back in high school when my freshman English teacher, Mr. Williams, taught us about archetypes and mentioned red-headed heroines as an extremely common archetype in fantasy. I felt so proud.)

Dan and Andrew went to the SUU basketball game, where I'm told the women (and later, the men) won their games.


Overall, a pretty good week. Although I have to admit I cried this morning when I heard that Joe Paterno had died. It was hard not to--I don't think you can live in State College without feeling his influence in the community. Even if he made a mistake (in regards to the whole child abuse scandal), he still did a lot of good for the community and the university. I think he'll be missed. Plus, we were neighbors, almost. He lived just on the other side of the park behind the duplex we lived in our last 3 years (how's that for a hard to follow sentence?)

2 comments:

SRA said...

I cried Saturday night when the false information was posted about his death. I cried Sunday morning when it was true. I cried Sunday afternoon when my RS prez made eye contact with me before RS and traced a tear track down her cheek. I've cried today sitting at my desk, looking at pictures and reading tributes. That's what happens when one of your top-5 all-time favorite people dies...and when the last few months of his life were as bad as his were. May he rest in the peace he deserves to have forever.

Jocelin said...

Rosalyn,
We lived on Thomas street right behind Paterno's and the neighboring park, too. (Though the name of the park escapes me now. Sunset?)