Sunday, January 15, 2012

A long weekend

I love long weekends.

I love that we don't have anywhere urgent to be.

I love that my husband gets to be home on Monday.

I also love that I'm finally feeling human again after what felt like the world's longest cold last week. (Said cold is also the reason I'm not going to write much about last week--I don't remember a whole lot of it, except that my voice gave out on Thursday and I had to cancel class. I can't remember the last time I did that. I'm sure my students didn't care, but I did.)

Our weekend so far has been lovely: we spent Friday and Saturday night at Bubby and Poppy's condo, enjoying the nicer weather to the south of us. Dan and I found a sitter (thanks to Sarah's connections) and went to the temple Saturday morning--after, of course, the breakfast at Golden Corral that Bubby and Poppy talked up. Dan really enjoyed their grits. Andrew and Evelyn liked that they could have whatever they wanted (including a flower-shaped donut). I liked that I didn't have to think about cooking early in the morning.

After our temple visit, we got lunch at Jimmy Johns and ate it outside at a park. Then we took the kids on an extended walk/scooter ride (again, thanks to Sarah for leaving her kids' scooters at the condo--Lydia's scooter is just the right side for Miss Priss). The weather was gorgeous--sunny, warmish (almost 60 degrees!) and the perfect antidote to the January blahs. It was almost enough to make me forget I have a birthday coming up. Almost.

Tomorrow we're hoping to take advantage of the free National Parks weekend and go hiking in Kolob--but we'll see. The kids and I stayed home from church today because Andrew's developing a hacking cough--hopefully he feels enough better tomorrow to brave the outdoors.

We hope all our readers have similarly lovely things planned for their long weekend!

1 comment:

SRA said...

Watched a lot of football this weekend, went to the three-hour block for the first time in months, and tomorrow:

Sizzler for lunch
Target
"War Horse"
H&M (gift card needing to be used)
Michael's to get some pics framed that I've been meaning to get done for more than a year

YEAH! Three-day weekends are great!