Sunday, November 06, 2011

I remembered

What else we did this week. Friday was the deadline for the PTA Reflections contest (which I remember fondly from my childhood because I actually won a few times). I spent all week asking Andrew if he wanted to enter. He must have started 20 different drawings, only to give up because the heads weren't round enough, or the colors were wrong. (Honestly, I have no idea where the kid gets his perfectionist tendencies from). In any case, the drawing never happened.

However, Friday morning, inspiration apparently struck. (That, or desperation). Andrew dictated a story the following story for me:


Caleb wanted a toy car, but his mom wouldn’t let him buy one. So Caleb decided to ride his bike to the grocery store by himself.
There were lots of different people at the store. Caleb was the only one with light colored skin. Caleb wanted to hide, but there were too many people.
Then he saw his mom at the store. Caleb decided to run down the aisles because he didn’t want his mom to see him. He got lost. He tried to find his way around, but he couldn’t.
Caleb met a tall man with dark skin. The man walked over to Caleb. Caleb felt a little shy.
The man said, “Are you lost?”
Caleb said, “yes.”
The man helped Caleb find his way back to the check-out line. They walked by the frozen food. Caleb saw some pizza boxes.
“I like pizza!” Caleb said.
The man said, “I like pizza, too!”
Caleb said, “Hey, we both like pizza.”
They found Caleb’s mom. She said, “Caleb, where were you?”
Caleb said, “I went to the store by myself. I’m sorry. But this man helped me find you.”
Caleb learned that some people can help you. Even if you think they’re scary, they sometimes can be like you.

The theme this year is "Diversity." Andrew and I talked about it a lot, but I'm still not sure how much he got from our discussions (as you might be able to guess from the role "diversity" plays in his story).

1 comment:

J-L-J-E said...

Wow! I am so impressed. Diversity totally plays a role.