Thursday, September 15, 2011

On Parenting

(I should be grading now but I'm having a severe procrastination attack).

Evelyn said something the other day that I want to make sure we remember.

Tuesday, we were walking together to campus where Dan was going to watch her while I taught class. (She was sick or I would have asked one of the neighbors, since Bubby had a conflict that day). I was carrying her for a little while because we were running late and she's not exactly the fastest walker (short legs don't help).

She put her arms around my neck and said, "You need to carry me until I know the way."

I know what she meant: she wanted me to carry her until she recognized the way to go. But the spiritual implications of what she said hit me so hard that I almost stopped walking. This is what parents do, isn't it? We carry our children--we protect them, teach them, help them make decisions until they're old enough to make their own--until they know their own way.

No comments: