Thursday, September 15, 2011

Correcting the Teacher

So, Andrew and I got to kindergarten a little early today, so I asked the teacher how he was doing. She told me that previously, she sat down to read with Andrew, to see what his reading level was. They stopped when Andrew got tired, not when he hit his limit (she thinks he may be higher), at level G (For context, by the end of Kindergarten, the teachers want students at level B. By the end of first grade, they should be at level I. The letters go in alphabetical order). Then she asked Andrew some questions to assess comprehension. Andrew got one of the questions wrong, so she wrote underneath the question, "didn't know." Andrew read her note and protested, "I do too know it" and then proceeded to explain the answer. Then he said, "Aren't you going to erase that I don't know the answer now?"

Funny kid. I think his teacher is a little unsure what to do with him for reading, but she said he seems to enjoy everything, so we won't worry about it until he gets obviously bored.

No comments: