Sunday, March 06, 2011

The princess and her potty

Somewhere I have pictures, but I lack the energy to currently post them. Maybe later.

I realize that my last post was rather down-beat--I want to express thanks to all of you who have expressed sympathy. All things considering, we're doing pretty well (physically, emotionally, etc.). There are just moments that catch me off guard, like the moment in the doctor's office and a moment (more accurately, a series of moments) yesterday in the temple.

Otherwise, things mostly go on as normal--taking care of kids, teaching, spending time with my husband when I can. A couple of highlights from this week: Thursday night Dan let me escape for a girl's night out--we went to the pastry pub and ordered decadent desserts and then went to the Petersen's where we continued our conversations. It's always amazing to me how much women can talk when we're motivated. :)

We've continued our cooking around the world fest. Last week (which I neglected to mention), we made a French-style lentil soup and had asparagus with hollandaise sauce (which I had never had before--very rich, probably not an every day sort of thing). This week, we indulged in all things German. (Sort of). For our Friday night meal, I made sauerkraut (not entirely authentic, since the real thing apparently takes 6 weeks of fermenting in the basement, and I didn't have that long), German-style potato salad (served warm, with a vinegary sauce), and pork schnitzel. Yum. (Note to self: don't write about food while still fasting.) In honor of German culture, I also played a German CD acquired in my long-ago student days (probably while I was living in the German house) and spent a pleasant 40 minutes or so in memory lane while I cooked, enjoying such classics as "Kussen verboten" (Kissing is forbidden) and "Mein bester Freund" ("My best friend is Robin Hood . . . and Sherlock Holmes . . . because he fights against injustice in the world"). It was also nice to remember that I haven't quite forgotten all the German I learned in school (although I have forgotten a fair portion).

Yesterday, we went south again to the temple. It was particularly crowded since it was the first Saturday after a 2 week closure, but I needed to go. Dan and I traded off, but unfortunately, because of the crowds, he missed the session he had aimed for. The kids, in the meantime, got to spend a lot of time at the park with their daddy, plus lunch at Red Robin. It's nice, sometimes, to have a break. One more week, and then a real break (hooray for schools with spring break!).

1 comment:

kristine N said...

I'm left wondering, did the princess use her potty?