Sunday, March 13, 2011

My weekly maundering

As we slouch towards spring break, it seems like we have less and less to say. The weather finally warmed up, which meant that the kids were finally let out into the backyard, where they enjoyed themselves immensely in our sandbox (which I hate--not so much because of the sand, but because it's nearly impossible to cover and therefore attracts all the neighborhood cats), and where Evelyn also left her shoes and socks.

The warmer weather also meant that it was time for yard chores--we spent most of yesterday trying to prune the various fruit trees in our yard (we don't have much experience with this, so time alone will tell whether we did a good job or killed the trees by over-pruning). Our yard chores were a little complicated by the fact that Evelyn was running a high fever and didn't want to do anything but sit on my lap--luckily, she fell asleep around 10 a.m. (definitely a fever by-product, that's not normal for her--and she took another nap around 3), so I was able to help Dan while she slept. I took her to Instacare after she woke up, where, naturally, she perked up immediately and showed few signs of being sick at all.

Friday we hit the letter "H," which meant, of course, that we learned about Hungary. Mostly, this was an excuse for me to play Hungarian music I picked up on my mission and cook paprikas cirke (chicken paprikash)--one of my favorites from my mission. After dinner, we looked through some picture books that we brought home; I was intensely nostalgic, but my kids were mostly bored.

Other events of note: our neighbors just brought over fresh beignets (pronounced "ben-yay," the famous New Orleans-style doughnut, which also figures prominently in Disney's Princess and the Frog, since these are the "man-killing" treats that Charlotte hires Tiana to cook for her guests). So I suppose we can both die happy now.

No comments: