Sunday, February 06, 2011

At week's end

Not much new to report for this week: we spent a lot of time indoors as we had (like much of the intermountain West) unusually cold temperatures this week. Last semester, I prided myself on walking Andrew to preschool every day (we made a few exceptions, usually when we were running errands and were late to pick him up). This semester, we've driven much more than we have walked. Luckily, the cold spell didn't last too long: yesterday, we once again had some nice-ish weather (for February) and were able to take the kids to the park again. (They've been begging all week, but it was just too cold).

Turns out that our kids are easily impressed. We recently discovered that one of our favorite health food stores in SG (b/c of their frozen yogurt) bought the local health food store, so the frozen yogurt is only a few blocks from our house, instead of 40 minutes away. After the park, we stopped by for some. Evelyn is easy to please: she just wants something "pink"--and the tart cherry was quite good. On the way home, Evelyn announced, "This is fun!" Andrew echoed her: "This is the best day ever!" So glad that it only takes 40 minutes and the park and frozen yogurt to get that kind of encomium.

Dan and I managed to go on a real date this weekend. (Although actually it was more like "I want to go to this play and you're coming with me because you love me.") The local Shakespearean Festival was putting on a fund-raising play this weekend, Love Letters. The basic story is told as the two main characters re-read their letters to one another, starting with Andy's acceptance of an invitation to Melissa's birthday party when both are children, and taking them through adolescence and adulthood. I enjoyed the play: I thought the characters were interesting and their relationship both poignant and bitter-sweet. The actors, too, were great: I've seen Brian Vaughn at the Festival a few times (last summer he did a hilarious turn as Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice); Melissa's character was played by Brian's wife, Melinda.

The funny thing about this (besides our last minute decision to go) is that, while I was interested when I first read about the play, it wasn't until I was at Evelyn's dance class on Thursday that I really decided I wanted to go. Let me explain why. It turns out that Melinda (who is expecting twins in the next couple of weeks) is one of the moms who regularly comes to Evelyn's dance class. We've talked a few times, and she is incredibly nice. (I didn't put all this together until Melinda's mother--who was there last week with her grandmother--explained that her daughter was busy rehearsing for a play). Somehow, having a personal connection with the actress made the play that much more appealing. (I suspect it has something to do with the vain pleasure of being able to claim association with someone famous, but I'm trying hard not to probe my motivations too much.) In any case, I'm glad I went.

Now, of course, I get to look forward to a somewhat crazy week: I have two sets of papers (one short, luckily) to return to my students before Tuesday; book club to host on Wednesday (we're reading Wives and Daughters) and somehow placating Andrew's newly discovered zeal for making valentines (which somehow results in a mess every time--not to mention that he can't really draw hearts without help).

1 comment:

Jocelin said...

Love to hear you are enjoying the Shakespeare plays. I attended SUU for two years before transferring to the Y and I had two dance classes with Brian Vaughn. I was mesmerized by that boy (he was only a young lad then) and saw every possible play he was in for the next few years. He is fantastic! And, even though he wouldn't know me if I told him I tap danced next to him for nine weeks, I am strangely happy for him that he's expecting twins in the near future. I like to think of him as in a good place and moving forward. Just like you, the smallest of connection is enough to draw us in.