I'm a little under the weather today and not feeling particularly inspired--two lethal combinations for any writer (or blogger. It's sometimes disconcerting to realize that in the last decade my sister and I have swapped roles: for better or worse, she is the writer in the family; I'm just an academic, and not even the only one!)
This week has been pretty forgettable--lots of routine: chores in the morning while Andrew is in preschool, then lunch, then quiet time and nap time and work time, then we play for a little, then dinner and, in rapid succession, bath and bedtime.
Andrew had a soccer game yesterday and I'm reminded (something I generally try to suppress) that I have a competitive streak in me. I'd better do a better job suppressing it in the future--four is way to young to get invested in the games! I do much better when I view things with an eye to the comedy in the situation. Yesterday's game, for example: only 3 of the 5 people on Andrew's team showed up (the 8:30 a.m. start time may have something to do with that.) The other team had six players, which meant that, playing 3 on 3, no one on Andrew's team got a break. Andrew's okay with that--as we've seen in the past, he doesn't much like sitting out--but it did lead to sort of lopsided teams. For one thing, Andrew was the only one on his team who really gets the game (the other two, while they--mostly--followed the ball, didn't seem to realize that they were actually supposed to *kick* the ball). And no matter how hard he played, he couldn't keep up with the other team all by himself. I'm not sure what the final score was, but I'm pretty sure they won by a wide margin. Andrew did score three (maybe four?) goals--but he would have had one more had not one of his teammates been standing in the goal, where he deflected the ball. Anyway, at least they're all cute! Two games left . . . But we'll probably be doing this again, seeing how much Andrew loves it.
Yesterday we went down to SG in the morning (listened to conference on the way down), visited with Bubby and Poppy (who were staying at the condo) and got to watch part of the end of the local Marathon, which ran down their street. It was pretty inspiring, actually--It made me want to run a marathon someday, even though I know that the reality of running more than 3 miles at a stretch (for me) is pretty grim.
The rest of the weekend has been quiet: we've enjoyed conference (when the kids weren't drowning it out) and we enjoyed having the neighbors over for lunch between sessions.
1 comment:
sorry you're feelin sick.
Post a Comment