I mentioned some time ago that I had offered to help with the Mormon Women Project and today I finally got to act on that: with my kids in tow, I drove down to SG to interview Saren Eyre Loosli about her experiences as a mother and her involvement in the Power of Moms website. For those of you mothers who read this (all two of you!) I'd encourage you to check it out. The website and program are still fairly new, but I love the idea for it. Before her marriage and motherhood, Saren conducted training programs for after-school programs. She explained that while in most careers individuals receive guidance and training from their colleagues, mothers (especially those without close family and friends) are often left to figure out how to do things on their own. She envisions the website as a place where women can pool their best resources and practices, helping them to become not only better mothers but better human beings. I was impressed by Saren and her energy and motivated by her project to start thinking about how I can do better as a mother. (Incidentally, the interview I conducted should show up sometime in July.)
Mostly though, as I sit here in the quiet of my house and type this, I can't help reflecting how grateful I am to be a mother. I want to note that publicly because I think I'm more likely to gripe about the difficulties of motherhood than embrace its joys. As hard as it can be, though, I think I'm a better person because I am a mother, and I wouldn't trade this opportunity for anything.
1 comment:
Do I count as one of the two!!!?!!!!
Post a Comment