Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Mama says there'll be days like this . . .

Seriously, is there something in the water? Or maybe (as the Chemistry Dept. secretary suggested when I went looking for Dan this afternoon) it's the full moon?

Anyway, after posting the previous fiasco of the Christmas tree, I remembered all the little random flaky incidents from today which no longer seem quite so random . . .

Yesterday, when I turned on the water to start preparing lunch, the kitchen faucet exploded. (Not literally. The faucet head fell off for some reason and the water spewed unconstrained until I had the sense to turn off the faucet). Luckily, Mike (who's been remodeling the downstairs shower for the past three months) showed up a few minutes later and was able to fix it fairly quickly.

Today, I was late picking Andrew up from preschool because Evelyn was still napping and so I was desperately trying to finish my powerpoint for today's class.

Because I was running late, I forgot to email the copy of the powerpoint to myself (which I always do), and therefore showed up at class without my presentation and had to wing the lecture.

I was almost positive that I'd made photocopies of assignment sheet for my students' final exam, but I didn't remember to double-check until just before leaving for campus. And discovered, to my horror, that I hadn't actually made those copies. Since I've already run through my allotted photocopies for the semester, I couldn't use the department copier. I printed out the original, and asked Trisha about a copy center on campus. She told me there was one in the library. (Ironically, after teaching composition for almost a full semester, this was my first time in the campus library, although I've used the website several times). I thanked her, rushed up to campus and made my copies, only to realize (too many realizations in the last 24 hours, none of them reflecting well on my sense or intelligence!) that I'd left the house without my wallet.

The nice lady at the desk let me write out an IOU and take my copies; after class, I tried to find Dan to borrow money, but he wasn't in his office, so I went home (ditching my office hours--but, given the number of students who mobbed me after class with questions, I didn't think anyone was likely to show up; if they had questions, they'd already asked them), relieved Trisha, and took the kids back to the library to settle my debts.

Nothing horrific, I know, but two such addle-brained incidents back to back has nearly un(wo)manned me. (I know what you're thinking--but no, I am NOT pregnant. Just acting like it.)

1 comment:

Jocelin said...

I am trying to picture a rattled Rosalyn. Just can't do it. Funny day.