So, today I got up early in order to finish my weeks-long project and mail it before we headed south to go to the Temple. Of course, we got to St. George only to find that the temple had closed early because of the Relief Society broadcast tonight. Or rather, Dan found out, as we had already dropped him off and driven away and, due to a dead cell-phone battery, Dan couldn't get a hold of us and had to wait until we came back two hours later. Luckily, his aunt lives within walking distance and he was able to hang out at her place. (We're hoping, though, that we can get some credit for good intentions).
Passing the temple inspired an interesting conversation in our car. After noting all of the wedding groups clustered around the lawn, I commented, "Oh, it must be wedding day today!" (i.e., Saturday). Andrew wanted to know what I meant, I explained it, and away we went. It didn't come up again until we were coming back to the temple to pick up Dan. The following conversation went something like this (I should warn our readers that some potentially disturbing material follows):
Andrew: "Someday I'll get married and maybe Evelyn and I will have kids."
Me, somewhat concerned about Andrew's choice of words: "Yes, someday you'll have kids, and Evelyn will have kids too. But not the same kids." Then, out of curiosity (and to settle my concern): "Who do you think you'll marry?"
Andrew: "I don't know. Maybe Evelyn or something."
Um . . . NO. "Andrew, you can't marry your sister. It's illegal. You need to marry someone your own age, who's not related to you."
Andrew, in a tone of enlightment: "Chi chi [a nickname for his cousin Lydia] is my age."
"Andrew, you can't marry your cousin either. Don't worry: eventually you'll find a nice girl who isn't related to you."
Glad we cleared that up! Obviously, we need to get out more and expand Andrew's social circle to include more non-blood relatives.
No comments:
Post a Comment