Friday, March 06, 2009

Lucky for you, you're cute

I've often thought that children's inherent cuteness is an evolutionary adaptation--i.e., if they weren't so darn cute, their parents would be more likely to strangle them at an early age. About fifteen minutes ago, Andrew reinforced this idea for me. He went running to the bathroom to take care of business, and, since he usually does so on his own, I left him alone for a couple minutes. When I heard him yelling my name, I went in to see what he needed. Was he done yet? No. Apparently he'd called me for no other reason than the satisfaction of yelling. (Typical.) So I left him again, promising to check on him in a minute or two. A little while later I heard him coughing. I didn't think much of it till I went back to the bathroom to find him standing by the side of the toilet with puke on the toilet seat, his stool, and on the floor.

"Andrew! What happened?" As a concerned parent, I was wondering if he had a stomach bug.

Says my smiling little boy, "I puked because I stuck my finger down my throat."

My concern immediately vanished, to be replaced with a considerable amount of irritation. All I could think was, it's lucky for you that you're cute and that I love you, or this kind of shenanigan could land you in serious trouble!

2 comments:

Sox said...

I feel privileged to not have had my 3 year old do that just yet. Though I am sure that he will before he reaches kindergarten. And if he weren't so cute I would have killed him already. Over and over.

Jocelin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.