Sunday, November 16, 2008

I am so smart: S-M-R-T

So, apparently we're developing a name for ourselves here in the ward. Or something. Dan had a PPI this afternoon, and while he was waiting for his interview, one of the guys in the ward told Dan that we had the reputation of being "the smart couple" in the ward (?). This might be flattering, if I hadn't taught a lesson today in Relief Society on gaining knowledge of eternal things, and wasn't therefore quite so aware of how little most of the things I know are worth. Of course, this reputation may stem largely from the fact that I was (apparently) the only one in our Sunday School class that knew what "opprobrium" meant.

There's not much to report from this week (that we haven't already reported). Andrew had his last swim lesson yesterday, but lest he repine too much we've signed him up for the next round in January. That boy sure likes water.

After his swim lesson we headed up to Salt Lake City to see Dan's sister, since his parents were in town for a visit. Half-way up, I was tempted to turn around: not because I dreaded seeing my in-laws (far from it), but because our children's behavior was rather inauspicious. Evelyn was screaming in her car seat and I was trying, ineffectually, to calm her down from the front seat. Andrew chose that moment to have a coughing fit. For Andrew, coughing, on top of all the rootbeer he had downed with lunch, had a disastrous effect: he proceeded to puke up his lunch. The only bags I had were our Wendy's bags from lunch, and, unfortunately, I grabbed the paper one first (the other bag at least had some kind of plasticky lining), so it promptly sprung a leak. Gross. At least Sarah was able to provide clean clothes for Andrew upon our arrival.

We hung out for most of the afternoon before having dinner at Olive Garden and heading home. Andrew missed his nap in favor of playing with his cousins, and by dinner time he was so tired that he was actually pretty well-behaved. A minor miracle in and of itself. All in all, a nice day and a nice week.

We leave you with pictures of our growing girl. I *finally* got a decent picture of her smiling. And check out the video--there's something irresistible about her giggles.




5 comments:

S. said...

Just about every child we know has puked this weekend--Lucy, Sage (on her birthday), Ian, and now Andrew. I think it has something to do with correcting the Earth's rotation.

Whenever I see a picture of Evelyn it surprises me that a face so chubby can smile so big.

Anonymous said...

My trainer on my mission used to use that same phrase: "I'm so smart: S-M-R-T." I always like a little Anchorage flashback...

jomama said...

Rosalyn, I get a kick out of your blog. Your Andrew reminds me so much of our Kade- energetic, intense, exhausting, bright, even the weak gag reflex, and nap requirement! So when he wears you out, assume he gets it from Daniel's side of the family. A glimmer of hope- Kade is 5 now and is often easier than when he was 2. Good luck! -Cousin Jodi

jomama said...

P.S. We haven't had to clean puke off a car seat in over a year. Perhaps that's something Andrew will outgrow, too. Good luck!

Megan, John and kids said...

I remember such trips, especially the calming the screaming child in the rear-facing car seat, that you can't really reach and doesn't really work. But then the root-beer puke must have been the icing on the cake. I'm amazed you made it Salt Lake. But, it's easy to forgive Evelyn's screaming bout when you see those adorable smiles and hear the infectious giggles. That video is just so great.