Friday, in an effort to entertain our respective children, Jeni and I plotted a Disney tea party. (Well, it wasn't really themed--we just had placemats with Disney characters for the kids. Although we did have a "mad-hatter"--see photo below.) Our plans almost fell through at the last minute because Jacob was being naughty and Jeni had threatened that he wouldn't be able to come (and thus she wouldn't be able to bring her kids) if he didn't obey. However, she decided instead that he *could* come, but he couldn't have any of the treats, like the frothy hot chocolate made in our new Coco-Motion machine, or no-bake cookies, or rice crispie treats. (And of course, since he couldn't have those things, that's precisely what he did want, and he had to be reminded several times why he couldn't have them). Still, I think everyone had fun, even if it wasn't quite up to the standard of Bubby's High Teas.
That night, for my birthday, we had a little celebration with a DQ cake. (Andrew, now a veteran of birthday parties, still persists in thinking they're all for him). After we got Andrew to bed (or thought we had--turns out my dad had to do a little damage control), Dan and I went to the movie theater for the first time in months, and saw Juno. We really enjoyed it, although it's quirky enough not to appeal to everyone. It also made me cry--which wasn't really surprising, given that I'm pregnant and all and the movie was about a teenage girl who chooses to give up her baby for adoption. At any rate, it was really nice to get out of the house!
There's not much else to report from the week. I taught Relief Society today and Dan taught his Sunday School class for the first time (sans manual--they gave him one as class was starting). One of our favorite new "Andrew-isms" is his tendency to say "upsy-down" instead of upside-down. (I think he learned it from one of his favorite books, Silly Sally, which repeats variations on the phrase: "Silly Sally went to town, walking backwards, upside-down . . ."). Andrew has also been entertaining us on an almost daily basis with his own tea-parties (sorry Bubby--even the lack of real tea party accoutrements hasn't stopped him!). He's taken an odd conglomeration of play dishes, real dishes, and about fifteen baby spoons from around our apartments, along with one of those hot-drink holders (which he uses as his tea kettle). His first act of the day, almost every day this week, has been to have a tea party with dolly and his dad and his still mostly comatose mother. (Today I rolled out of bed on top of a cup and saucer and when I asked Dan in surprise what that was doing on the bed--I honestly couldn't remember--he told me that it was my "tea," courtesy of Andrew). (By the way, Jason and Liza, if you see this, Andrew still mentions Jasper on a daily basis and wants to know where he is--and he wants to play with him!)
In other news, we're waiting impatiently for our first big family trip in some time: we're going to Disneyland later this week with Jeni and her family, a sort of post-graduation, post-dissertation defense celebration. Andrew's already looking forward to the jungle cruise, a carousel ride, and Pirates of the Caribbean (about which he knows virtually nothing, except that Jacob wants to do it).
No comments:
Post a Comment