Sunday, March 11, 2007

Out @#%! Spot!



The imminent approach of the Ides of March inspired us with today's Machbethian title (after rejecting similarly inspired "Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble," and "Beware the ides of March"). Really, though, what we're looking for is a good recipe for getting old vomit out of carpet. Andrew is finally feeling better, but in his wake, he's manged to leave smelly reminders of his illness all over the house. Of the five rooms in our house (three carpeted), he's managed to throw up in the front room, his room, the kitchen and the hallway (following a particularly memorable incident in which he ran away from me *while* he was puking!). We've purchased some Glade and some air freshener, but there's only so much cover-up can do! But we're grateful that Andrew's mostly back to normal (keeping food down, normal bowel movements, etc. And for the faint of heart, don't worry, we're not going into any more detail than that!)

This week has not been particularly exciting (isn't that the story of pretty much every week in our lives?) Dan and I didn't see much of each other until Thursday, as we spent the first couple days of the week trading Andrew back and forth--I worked in the writing center Monday night, Dan went to Huntington Tuesday night, Wednesday night I conducted a writing workshop on literature reviews . . . It was nice to finally catch up with one another! Friday night, Dan and I watched The Prestige, a rather fascinating movie starring Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale about two dueling magicians, who go to increasingly intricate lengths to outdo one another. The movie was pretty dark, but we enjoyed it. Saturday, not much happened. Andrew and I went shopping (I saved over $30 on our grocery bill by clipping coupons--I felt rather frugal!) and Dan went to work. Actually, Andrew has been doing his darnedest this week to curb my shopping proclivities: Friday afternoon, after romping at the YMCA in the open children's gym, we went to Target. As soon as we walked in the door, Andrew proceeded to fill his pants and then some . . . so we walked right out again. Saturday, during the brief 45 minutes that we were at the mall, Andrew managed to fill his pants twice. The first time I hauled him to a changing table in the restroom (where two pre-teens came in while I was changing him and one whispered to her friend, "I've never actually seen someone changing a baby in the restroom before!"). The second time I figured that was our cue: we were done for the day.

At least, if the daily events of our life are somewhat lackluster, Andrew continues to make us laugh with his funny faces and antics. Although he's had his "boat" since Christmas, this week he finally figured out that it does more than make noise--he can actually ride on it!



Not quite sure what he's doing here, but the plastic-man face makes me laugh.



Andrew, the escapee, on one of his brief forays into the forbidden territory of our room. Here, he was rifling through Dan's sock drawer. It's a good thing he's so easily entertained.


We cut an opening in one of the larger boxes for Andrew to climb in; he was pretty excited by his new hidey hole.



We're entering into Spring Break, which means campus will be mostly deserted and we will be working hard . . . this week promises to be almost as exciting as the last! Be sure to stay posted . . .

2 comments:

Jenilyn Collings said...

We bought a Bissel hot steamer. It works wonders. (And you'll love having if for potty training too!)

BubOppy said...

There are some pretty good odor neutralizers out there. The product names escape me, but Bubb recommends Lysol on a blue rag.