We stopped in Utah Co on our way back from our trip. Monday, Dan and I planned on some car-shopping, as our current single vehicle had 190K + miles on it.
It was time.
We did some research, found some reasonable prospects--and at the first dealership decided we didn't want another minivan after all, as ours is still perfectly serviceable for around town. So, we settled on a Toyota Camry instead. The dealer had one in good condition that had just come in--only catch, it needed to replace part of the breaks.
No big deal. We signed the papers, paid our money, and returned home, expecting to pick up the car later that day, or at the earliest, Tuesday morning. Dan and Andrew wound up driving home Monday night, and I was going to follow the next day with Evelyn and Oliver.
Well, Tuesday, they found another part in the brake that needed to be replaced. At that point, I gave up on going home, because I'd have to come back Wednesday anyway for a writing conference I was participating in.
Wednesday, still no car, but the dealer gave us a rental (the AC didn't work, but at least I didn't have to keep bumming my parents' car). This time, they were trying to figure out why a warning light had gone on.
Thursday, still no car. It being Oliver's fourth birthday, we drove up to SLC and met Sarah and kids for a rousing round of bowling and glow-in-the dark mini-golf.
I presented at my conference and it was awesome. I got to hold an early copy of my book in my hands for the first time! Also glorious.
Friday--still no car. I'd hoped to get home by Saturday for Andrew's taekwon do tournament at the Utah Summer Games. I went in to the dealer and talked to the mechanic who explained that they'd basically taken the engine apart to deal with the light, but the part they'd originally put in turned out to be the wrong part (the car was part of a split year, where half of that years' cars had one part, half had the other), which had, in turn, affected another part that now needed to be replaced.
I think Dan and I have the anti-Midas touch when it comes to cars (if you'll remember, we had to replace the entire transmission after buying our minivan).
Anyway, I wound up driving home with a different rental car (we needed something with AC) from the dealership, late Friday night.
Saturday, we got to watch Andrew compete in the Summer Games. There were only three kids in his category, but it was a good experience for him (he came away with two silver medals).
![]() |
| The black is from his new mouthguard |
Had a wonderful alfresco dinner with Bubby and Poppy today, topped off with DQ cake.
Still no word on the car.



No comments:
Post a Comment