Sunday, February 15, 2015

Holding on

Sometimes writing this blog feels like one more chore to do each week--but most of the time, I'm grateful for this opportunity to look back on the week and just hold onto moments that otherwise whirl past too fast to really grasp.

The weather has been unseasonably lovely for the second or third week in a row--we hit the 60s several days this week, while the East coast is getting pounded. I've loved the weather--but I'm also nervous about what it means for our water level this summer. At this point, I wouldn't mind some snow! (Heresy, I know).

It's been an interesting week for the kids, too. After an audition where I thought Andrew had done reasonably well and Evelyn had bombed, we found out on Monday that Evelyn got cast (as a frogling) and Andrew didn't make the cut. I'm 85% sure that Evelyn got cast because she's little. And then we had to talk her into actually going to the first rehearsal, which is funny to me because if you've met Evelyn, she's a bit of a diva and she usually loves the attention she gets performing. When I picked her up from that rehearsal, she was in tears, but by the next day she was back to telling me how excited she was. What changed? Well, she told her first grade class that she was in a play and everyone thought that was *so* cool and wished they could be in it. (For grandparents, the play is the week of April 6th).

Luckily for the balance of powers in the household, Andrew made it into the school spelling bee, and Evelyn didn't. I'm on the PTA committee for the spelling bee, so I got to help grade the spelling tests we used to determine who made it in (I graded 2nd grade, so I didn't see Andrew's or Evelyn's scores until they'd already been graded). I don't think Evelyn has a very good sense of her spelling: she told me, I think I only missed like 4 words! (She missed 14. Out of 30. Which was better than most of the 1st graders, but still . . . ).

And Oliver's biggest accomplishment was discovering an entire packet of markers unattended in the kids room. Before someone found him, he'd managed to blacken his hands, color on Evelyn's sheet and blankets, and scribble all over the foot of the bunkbed. (At least that part washed off). I don't know what it is about coloring on oneself, but Oliver seems to find it deeply satisfying.

In other news: Dan made sugar cookies for his class because they had a Friday exam--some in conventional hearts for Valentine's Day, some in Star Wars shape. I don't think they were sufficiently appreciative, because the exam took longer than expected. But my class enjoyed the leftovers!

For Valentine's day itself we didn't have any big plans. The kids each got a small present from us, Dan got a packet of grits, I got some audio books (Georgette Heyer read by Richard Armitage!!). I took the older kids to a book signing downtown and they got waffle cones to eat on the way back. When Oliver woke up, we went swimming as a family and Evelyn discovered that she actually *likes* the big water slide.

More news coming this next week . . . stay tuned!

No comments: