The kids had school. Oliver got to spend a lot of time with me.
We went to soccer games. I'm not entirely sure why Evelyn wanted to sign up for soccer: her favorite part of her game was clearly seeing a friend from school on the opposing team and two boys from her class on the neighboring field. She wasn't that into the game itself--in fact, she begged the coach to let her sit out the rest of the game after she got a stitch in her side.
Andrew got to play his (second) cousin Zach yesterday and I had the most enjoyable game so far. I'm not actually sure what happened with the game (I think Andrew won?) but I had a great time talking to Jodi, Zach's mom and Dan's cousin.
Oliver has taken to eating imaginary food, which cracks me up no end. He'll squat down on the ground, pretend to scoop something up, announce what it is--"apple!"--and then make eating noises--"nom, nom, nom"--before pronouncing, "so good!" And because he's two, his "good" sounds more like the German "gut" with a pronounced "t" at the end.
This has also been a week for learning about consequences. We had our first child-caused broken window. Thursday, I sent Andrew out front to pick up his soccer ball (which he'd left on the lawn). He, for some inscrutable reason, decided to kick it at the door. And missed. Instead, he hit the frosted window next to the door, which cracked rather spectacularly. His first instinct was to deny it (we're still working on convincing him he'll get in more trouble if he lies), but it was pretty obvious what happened. Tomorrow we'll get an estimate on how much it will cost to replace it. Andrew gets to contribute to the replacement.
This was also homecoming week for SUU. Thursday morning, Dan graciously fed Oliver lunch while I went to the convocation with poet Billy Collins, a former poet laureate of the U.S. I wasn't very familiar with his poems, but I really enjoyed them. They're interesting, humorous, accessible, and lovely.
Friday was the president's inaugural, which Dan attended and enjoyed (though he said there were two musical numbers too many).
And yesterday, of course, was homecoming, which we did not attend. But Dan marched in the homecoming parade with the College of Science and Oliver got to watch the parade with his Bubby. I watched a little bit of the parade, but the kids had a primary program rehearsal scheduled at the same time and a football game immediately afterward, so I missed most of it. Apparently a good time was had by all.
This morning was the primary program. Andrew impressed people by being one of the few older kids to say his part instead of just reading it--and Evelyn made the whole audience laugh when she said that her class had been learning about creation, and two of her favorite creations were wolves and meatballs.
Also, I finally figured out how to load the pictures on the new computer (Dan very patiently reminded me it helps if you download the camera software first . . . ), so here are the pictures from the last two weeks.
Oliver, being cute at the park by the library.
My cousin Erika at Comic Con (She made the costume herself!).
Jeni and Samuel at Comic Con, as Howl and Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle.
Oliver, at same park as above, because he now thinks this spot requires a photo shoot. (He's hiding a rock in his shirt. I eventually persuaded him his pocket worked better for long-term storage).
Our cracked window.
No comments:
Post a Comment