Sunday, August 03, 2014

Girls' Camp

This week has been a bit of a blur. In addition to struggling through a cold (along with my kids), I spent the middle of the week at girls' camp with church.

After two years of being in young women's, I finally was able to go to camp. I loved it--aside from the whole not-sleeping thing.

We drove up on Wednesday with the girls and set up camp. Well, sort of. Camp consisted of converted freighter cars, lined with three bunks to a side, and a smaller room with six bunks for leaders. So setting up really just meant putting our beds together. I found the bunks awkward and uncomfortably hard, so I suppose I'm glad I only spent one night up there!

It turns out it was good that I went (I debated because of the aforementioned cold). But Thursday morning I woke up to find that our camp leader had decamped--her tent and car were gone. No one knew what had happened--until the other leader woke up for breakfast and said the camp leader had gone home sick. So I was defacto in charge for that day, and discovered I liked playing cheerleader better than being responsible for everything, particularly with a slight issue involving a sick girl from another ward (why she was in our bunks, I'm not sure, though she did have friends in our ward) and a sprained ankle.

But the girls were lovely to be with. They're funny, smart, and good. They remind me what my priorities should be, and, at the risk of sounding corny, how much I love them.

I taught them two of the games I'd learned at camp: UNO fortune-telling and Spaz (also with UNO cards). It brought back my own days at camp to see the girls enjoying the same silly games I used to play.

No comments: