Technically, our Spring Break starts tomorrow. Not that we're doing much of anything, since Andrew has school all week (why the university and the local school district can't coordinate breaks better, I've not yet figured out). Also, we don't have the money to go anywhere really. But still--we can have fun, right?
Some of the fun items from last week: I volunteered to help with the school book fair. That actually *was* fun, despite the fact that Oliver remained strapped to my chest for over two hours and my back hurt at the end of it. There's something about books . . . my first true love. (Don't worry; Dan is well aware of this!)
Dan and I got to visit with Andrew's teacher for parent/teacher conferences. Andrew is, not surprisingly, well above grade level in reading and math. He manages to squeak by in terms of hand-writing and grammar (lest you think he's some kind of wunderkind). This was moderately fun, despite the presence of all three children.
We gave Oliver baths. This is nearly always fun, as he is such a charmingly happy child with a big, open-mouthed grin that you can't help but respond to. I cropped this picture so that you don't get the full glory of baby nud*ty--but you can tell Oliver's living it up in the bathtub.
For the weekend, we took the kids to Bubby and Poppy's condo, where we spent Friday night. We had dinner at Olive Garden (for Dan), breakfast at the Golden Corral (Andrew and Evelyn's new favorite, thanks to their grandparents!), and dinner on Saturday at Red Robin. Like many of our vacations, this did revolve at least somewhat around food.
We also took the kids to a local swimming pool. It was Oliver's first time swimming, so we had to get a picture of him in his swimming duds (the rash guard reads: "Tons of Fun"). The pool had a kiddy pool area, complete with johnny-jump-up sort of things hanging just above the water for babies. When I first put Oliver in, he didn't know what to think--he pirouetted for a while, one fat foot on the floor while the other foot paddled the water. After a while, he discovered that he could bounce gently up and down, which he did with ferocious concentration. I think he enjoyed moving independently.
Oliver is getting to that delightful easy-to-entertain baby stage. He's almost able to sit on his own. In the meantime, he's happy to grab anything within grabbing distance, especially his toes. (He also likes my hair, which he inevitably tries to eat. Sadly, since I'm liking my longer length, I think I will need to get a shorter cut, at least until Oliver stops trying to eat my hair. His grip is surprisingly strong--and painful--so I think some of the hair must go. Any ideas?)
No comments:
Post a Comment