The first time I went bird watching, I didn’t know what to expect.
I was both excited and nervous. We drove to a place where there was a path with
lots of trees. It was called Rock Canyon.
At first there were lots of sparrows, then there was a few Red-tailed
Hawks who were looking for a meal. After
a few minutes, there were 20 robins perched on a tree near the rocky path when I
walked down the path with my mom.
I looked up and saw something. I didn’t know what it was. It
was colorful and it had a black mask over its eyes.
I asked my mom what it was.
She looked in her bird guide and said, “It’s an American
Kestrel.” Then she said, “A kestrel is a type of falcon that is small. It’s a
bird of prey. It is a fast diver. It eats insects and small birds.”
The kestrel swooped suddenly. It startled me. And then I saw
what it was after, and why it had dived. It was chasing after a wounded
Mourning Dove. The dove wasn’t able to fly very well. Then the kestrel swooped
down and caught it.
It was so amazing, I could hardly believe my eyes. There
were more kestrels swooping around after more small birds. And then I saw that
they were all grouping together to eat their catch. Then I realized that that’s
what bird watching was about. It was about seeing the beauty of nature, and
seeing how other animals keep nature alive. It was so fun.
Me and my mom went bird-watching a lot. I’m going to tell
you a little story about one of my favorite bird-watching trips. We drove along
the road in Provo and I was looking out the window when I saw this huge group
of sparrows near a green pasture eating seeds and insects. There were some
grasshoppers and ants that they were eating. There were sunflower seeds, too.
Later, we stopped by this big post, near a dead-end street.
There were lots of rocks and some campers.
I was looking up at the sky, watching some pigeons do a
little dance and then they suddenly got startled. I wondered what startled
them. Then they began to dance again and again they got startled. That’s when I
saw it.
A red-tailed hawk.
And then I looked up again and saw another one. Then I
realized they were a pair. I thought they were catching food for a baby chick
that was covered in fuzz. And then, a few of the pigeons got caught. Then the
hawks flew off.
That is the story of how I went bird watching. It was so
magical. Maybe you should go out and explore nature too.
The End
2 comments:
Nicely done!3
This is so good- well done Andrew! I can't believe he didn't place with this!? Your cute baby is getting so big.
Post a Comment