If you caught my last post at Segullah, then you'll know what I've been doing all week.
I've been re-learning how to write creatively at the Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers conference. I realize that I was blessed on two counts: first, that I had the resources to pay the conference admission; second, that my saintly mother agreed to watch my kids for long hours each day last week so that I could attend the conference. (And that is why this week's post is All About Me--if you read this blog to keep tabs on the rest of my family, you'll have to wait untilo next week.) Plus, my sister was at the conference (she talked me into going with her), so it was extra fun on that count. (Okay, that sounds like it could be sarcastic--it really isn't. I loved seeing my sister there, although it was a strange experience for me, as the older sister, to be somewhere where everyone knew my sister rather than me. But I think that was probably healthy for me).
If you read my segullah post--or even my blog post on my *other* blog, you'll know that I was really nervous coming into the conference. It's been ten years since I really wrote creatively--what if I discovered that I really can't write?
I'm still not convinced that I can write--but I came away from the conference believing that if I'm willing to keep working at it, I can *learn* to write.
The conference went something like this: in the mornings we had small critique group sessions with a published author (mine was with Claudia Mills, who is a fabulous human being in addition to being a published author of 40 middle-grade and picture books, *and* a professor of philosophy at the university of Colorado). There were about 13 students in my class, Claudia, and Cheryl, our assistant. Most mornings were spent critiquing each others' manuscripts--and I was amazed how much I learned even from the critiques of manuscripts that weren't mine. What I loved most about Claudia was her ability to "take the gold out of Egypt"--although she didn't shy away from honest critique, she was also genuinely enthusiastic about the possibilities she saw in everyone's manuscript. I imagine everyone came away feeling a bit like I did: that my manuscript was still rough, but it could be great.
In the afternoons, we went to larger sessions where published authors delivered presentations on various aspects of writing (developing characters and scenes, revising, etc.). The authors whose sessions I attended included: Brandon Mull, Kathleen Duey, Emily Wing Smith (whose Back When You were Easier to Love I'm reading right now and loving it), Louise Plummer, Kristen Chandler (author of Wolves, Boys, and Other Things that Might Kill Me) and Heather Dixon (author of Entwined). Louise Plummer gave a hair-raising presentation on how to write suspenseful novels, using Stephen King's Misery as an example. (Not being a big fan of horror, I found her presentation funny and, well, horrifying.)
I think I can honestly say that I learned more from this week long seminar than I did from the creative writing courses I took in college (granted, there weren't too many of those). I also learned that--not to brag or anything--I'm pretty good at critique. It helps to actually have a language now to describe the things I was seeing that aren't working; I wonder if my students will appreciate my new gift or not?
I also got lucky, I think. Apparently (and this is supposed to be kept a little under wraps, but since we're all friends here and only 3 of you read it anyway, I thought I could mention it. Plus, since this is to all intents and purposes the only journal I keep right now, I need to record this moment for posterity) each teacher was allowed to choose one or two students from her class to meet with one of the agents or editors who were there. I was lucky enough to be one of the students from my class (and I did feel lucky--the other girl who went from my class is a much better writer, I think).
The exact purpose is a little murky to me still--I was under the impression that I was going to get a manuscript critique; my sister (who was assistant to Louise Plummer's class) told me that we were actually supposed to *pitch* our idea to the person we met with. In any case, I met with a really nice editor who gave me some good feedback on my first chapter (basically, I need to get to the point quicker--ironically enough, the same feedback I've often gotten from my academic advisors!). She asked me what my novel (well, if you can call it that when I have less than 30 pages written) was about, and I stammered a little but finally got it out. In all honesty, I felt a little silly when I left. I had gotten helpful advice for revision (and my class later responded positively to my revision), but I left with the feeling that I had really underwhelmed the editor. However, the next morning Claudia pulled me aside to tell me that the editor had actually liked my story idea; and another of the teachers (who I know a little through Segullah) told me that when the teachers asked the agent and editors if they'd found anything promising, the editor I met with mentioned my story (!).
Of course, promise is a far cry from actually making good on that promise. And I'm still a long way from finishing the manuscript. But I did come away from the conference with the motivation to keep writing and--I think--with some of the tools I need to achieve that vision. Now I just need to find a good critique group to keep me on task . . .
2 comments:
Nice!
I've been terrible at keeping up with your blog lately, but this was great to read. I, of course, think you can do anything, and I would love to read anything you would write. Good luck, it's so inspiring to get positive feedback!
Post a Comment