Sunday, November 14, 2010

Waiting for the End

I know we're supposed to try and live in the now--but there are some weeks when the end can't seem to come fast enough. Right now, as I slowly dig myself out from under a pile of papers (seriously, why do I assign so much stuff to my students? Oh, right, I want them to learn something), it's starting to feel like the end of the semester can't come soon enough. Thankfully, we have Thanksgiving in a little over a week, and then only one week of classes after there. I can do this. We can do this.

This week was Evelyn's turn for croup. She started showing symptoms on Wednesday, but wasn't bad until Thursday night. We didn't have to go to the ER, but we did call the doctor, and we (I) got up several time at night to calm her down. We spent a nice cold 10 minutes hanging out on the back porch at 3 a.m. It's amazing how quiet the world is then. She got a steroid shot the next morning, which seemed to help a lot--now she's mostly back to normal except that she starts getting whiny an hour before naptime--I think she's still recovering.

Aside from that, there's not much to report. I had book group on Wednesday for a book I hadn't quite finished--it was fun to get together with other grown-ups, but I wish I would stop getting intimidated by the state of their houses. Sure, I can manage the clean look, but my house will never quite carry off that contemporary design look that seems to be all the rage among chic young (and not so-young) Mormon moms.

And it snowed this week, replacing the warm weather of last week with a decidedly chilly atmosphere. The only good thing about the snow (aside from the moisture) is that it was actually cold enough to be of some help in keeping Evelyn's croup under control.

I think I must be tired--this post is too much about me and the tone sounds off. I'm sorry! We'll try for better next week.

No comments: