Saturday, August 09, 2008

In Memoriam: Thella Marie Hurd Collings

My last remaining grandparent passed away peacefully in her sleep yesterday morning, sometime between ten (when the nurses came in and spoke with her) and eleven a.m. I have to admit to some mixed feelings about this: when I initially heard, I was mostly shocked, since it seemed like Grandma Collings was the type who would last forever (if only out of sheer stubbornness). And I'm a little bit sad--mostly I wish I had gone to visit her last week like I thought about doing and then never did. (I haven't seen her since before Evelyn was born, since I didn't want to expose myself or Evelyn to anything that might be going around the nursing home). And I'm also sad that I don't feel more upset--if that makes any sense. But she was old--in her late 80s--and her husband died over twenty years ago, and her quality of life wasn't so great anymore. I'm also glad, for my mom's sake, since her nearly daily trips to the nursing home to take care of Grandma for the past year or so have been really wearing on her. I hope that Grandma, wherever she is now, is finally at peace.

2 comments:

Topsy said...

That is quite admirable of your mother, to have dedicated so much of her time and emotions, in caring for her husband's mother.

Heather M said...

What beautiful words about grandma. I am full of mixed emotions as well, but mostly peace that she is finally at peace. I am so grateful that your mom can have some peace as well. She gave so much time in taking care of her. It will be wonderful for her to have more time available to her.