To liven up an otherwise mundane week, we decided on a last-minute trip down to Cedar City to see the Eves family. We drove down Friday morning, arriving scant minutes before Trisha returned from work (I was still cleaning crumbs off Andrew when she walked up). We hung out for a while at their house, waiting for the excitement to start (i.e. for Robert to arrive home from work and for the Wells cousins to arrive). Trisha ditched us to go get her toenails done (not that we blame her—they did look rather fabulous—and she’d set up her appointment before we made our plans), so Andrew and I went to the community pool behind the Eves’ home and went swimming, which Andrew thoroughly enjoyed. (I had a hard time persuading him to get out of the pool—which he, with unintended irony, insists on calling “poo”).

Sarah and her brood arrived around five-thirty, and we enjoyed a wonderful dinner (corn on the cob, ribs, hot dogs, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, etc.). Of course, good food is pretty much guaranteed at any Eves family get together. After the kids went to bed, some of us played cards, some of us (me and Sarah) had our toenails painted (Sarah was inspired by Trisha), and most of us enjoyed the fruits of a DQ run. There was some debate prior to sending Matt and Laurie out for the goods whether or not we should get something for Jake, who was downstairs watching television (or possibly sleeping). Sarah ultimately decided he didn’t need anything with extra liquid. The next morning, when a bleary-eyed Jake finally made it up the stairs, he demanded plaintively, “Hey, how come you went to Dairy Queen last night and didn’t get my anything?”

That morning the men all deserted to play golf in the annual family tournament. (I heard tell that Aaron’s team won, but I’m not positive about that). We, meanwhile, fed the kids breakfast and tried to keep them entertained while we waited for the men to return. They were supposed to be back at 10:30 (but of course, since they stopped for dinner at Denny’s after golf, they weren’t on time) so that Sarah, Trisha and I could go to a baby shower for Dan’s cousin Tony’s wife, Jaye. As soon as Aaron (the advance vanguard) walked in the house, we were out. The shower was a lot of fun—good food, and the games weren’t too annoying. (I suppose I can say that since I won two of the four! Of course, since one of the games involved coming up with as many boys names as possible out of Jaye and Tony’s combined names, there really wasn’t any question about the outcome. Not for nothing did I play boggle nearly every night with my roommates my second year at Penn State). Unfortunately, we had to leave early, as Sarah was already late for a family reunion that afternoon. Andrew and I returned to Provo that afternoon, somewhat tired in body but refreshed in spirit by our time with family. Andrew’s been chirping “Jake” “Kay-kay” (Katie) at random intervals all afternoon today.

Today has been a pretty ordinary Sunday: Andrew, by dint of some crocodile tears, kept me in nursery for most of Sunday School and Relief Society (whenever I tried to sneak out, it took him approximately five minutes to notice I’d gone, and then some poor nursery leader had to come find me. I suppose after last week’s puke fest they didn’t want to take any chances with letting him cry. I can’t say I blame them).
This last tidbit is a video of Andrew eating his popsicle--the video is a little long (close to a minute), but count how many times Andrew drops his popsicle! (You can recognize him as the short squatty one in a diaper who can't seem to hold onto his popsicle).

No comments:
Post a Comment