Pooper: This accolade, not surprisingly, belongs to Andrew, who was the pooper extraordinaire this week. For four days running (we have yet to see what today will bring), he has had a minimum of three bowel movements per day, often within a 3-4 hour time period. On Friday, while running some errands at Target, he made his characteristic red face. Since he seems to have a tendency to do this at inconvenient times (like almost every time we go to Target--what can I say? It brings out the best in him), I had come prepared--or so I thought. When we got back to the bathroom, I realized that this was a blow-out of monumental proportions and was best dealt with at home. So, less than ten minutes into our venture and with no purchases made, we headed home. And today, just after church, Andrew rewarded his father with another pleasant surprise. Luckily, we had a spare set of pajamas in the diaper bag and Andrew was changed forthwith out of his soiled church clothes. (Also luckily, this happened just before we intended to leave, as opposed to just after).
Stupor: This one is mine, for potentially sending a number of graduate students into one at a workshop I gave this week on writing personal statements for applications. I caught at least one student napping during the presentation. Actually, I think I did pretty well, given that this was an evening workshop. I think I only really bored the students for part of the workshop, and I actually got them to laugh a couple of times.
Scooper: Dan won the honor of scraping (scooping) off our car and sidewalk for perhaps the first time this season, as winter seems to have definitely settled into State College. It was a balmy 9 degrees as we left our house this morning to drive to Huntington for church. We also had a couple of snow storms that actually left more than a trace of snow. Andrew seemed somewhat bemused by all this white stuff, not having been exposed to much of it in the few short months that his memory encompasses.
Blooper: Dan's boss, Andy, managed to fall off his roof this week. (He was trying to remove a stray shingle so that his house, which is shortly to go on the market, would look better for the real estate photographers who were coming by). He was lucky to have only cut up his face (requiring stitches in several places) and dislocated his finger. Dan is lucky that his boss didn't die--which would have made finishing his dissertation just a bit more complicated than Andy's proposed move to Sweden.
Souper: Our new branch, perhaps in the spirit of the Super Bowl, today hosted a "Souper Bowl" after church in order to break our fast (since, as the first Sunday of the month, today was fast Sunday). Several people volunteered to bring soup and bread. We didn't sign up to bring soup, but nonetheless felt compelled to bring something. So, we thought we'd make a corn chowder that I particularly like and that is easy to make (frying bacon is the hardest part of the whole procedure). However, in one of our less intelligent moments, we decided to put all the ingredients in the crock-pot overnight. When Dan got up at 3:30 to check on Andrew (who was crying), he also checked on the soup and discovered that our crock pot, which is pretty lame anyway (it burns most things, even on low), was boiling over the side and spewing liquid all over the microwave. Dan also realized, in the rational light of morning, that the reason this soup works is that you first make a roue, mix in the milk and cook till the mixture thickens, and then turn down the heat. Since we didn't do that, the resultant soup was, in Dan's opinion, inedible. (We didn't test the soup beforehand--it wasn't until Dan sat down to eat that he discovered that the soup wasn't so great. He promptly hid the rest of the soup in the kitchen so that no one else could witness his culinary mishap. I think it hurt his pride more than anything else).
Alley ooper: (Thank goodness Dan knows more sporting terminology than I do!). Instead of imbibing of the football spirit prevailing these days, we've spent our days enjoying Andrew's burgeoning basketball skills. He has progressed from merely carrying the ball around to actually putting it in the basketball hoop his Grandma Patti provided for him. Sometimes, of course, he still needs a little help from his dad. Naturally, we have pictures! (After all, it wouldn't be our blog if it didn't have pictures, now would it?)


Grouper: And as our final tribute of the week, we close by posting this fish face of our son.
No comments:
Post a Comment